It’s late and you’re hungry. You could just have a glass of water and try to shut off the pangs, but chances are you are going to make it to the fridge to seek out a snack. Beware not all bedtime snacks are created equal. The following 5 bad things to consume before bedtime are naughty for a reason. They will interrupt your sleep, and possibly cause weight gain.
- Caffeine- Watch out for hidden caffeine. If you’re drinking tea you should consume Chamomile rather than a black leaf variety. Avoid chocolates and other treats that contain caffeine, and consume your last amount no later than 5: PM. Caffeine can take up to 8 hours to leave your body and that means you’ll be tossing and turning instead of drifting off into a peaceful slumber.
- Alcohol- It’s not a nightcap, it’s a sleep disrupter. Even if you do pass out and manage to catch some zzz’s, your body is busy repairing itself in detox mode and you’re going to experience disrupted sleep. Especially if you have to keep getting up to use the restroom. Limit your alcohol intake and try to save consumption for the weekends only.
- Sugar- That cookie looks innocent enough but it’s ready to wreak havoc on your sleep. Sugar provides energy and that’s the last thing you need before turning in for the night. Stay away from processed foods and refined sugars.
- Spicy Food– Is Mexican or Asian food on the menu? Save your spicy for daytime. Acid reflux and indigestion are both triggered by spicy foods. If you eat them before bedtime you could be tossing and turning with heartburn pain.
- Bloating Foods- Broccoli, beans, and other fibrous foods are hard to digest and can cause stomachaches late at night. Eat your veggies during the day and stay away from anything at bedtime that causes you gas or bloating.
What Should You Eat Before Bed?
Now that you know what not to eat, you can choose a smarter choice the next time hunger calls. Turkey, soybeans and pumpkin seeds all contain the sleep-inducing amino acid tryptophan. Smart pre-portioned snacks will hit the spot while being mindful of calories. Opt for a few crackers, a boiled egg, avocado, rice, bread, or guacamole. You may also heat a cup of milk to sip your way to a peaceful state.
Get Your Beauty Sleep
Sleep is important in your overall physical health. Deprivation can cause all sorts of problems such as heart disease, kidney disease and diabetes and high blood pressure. Your skin is also busy repairing itself all night long. Sleep deprivation increases the stress hormones in your body that trigger many conditions. Beware these top 5 bad foods to avoid before bedtime, and get more tips for a good night’s sleep, here.